Partial Greek Immersion Program
Three Hierarchs Academy will offer a Greek immersion program in which students become fluent in Modern Greek while acquiring a reading knowledge of ancient Greek. This is a living language, the language of the Bible and Patristic tradition, and of the famous Greek poets (Homer), philosophers (Plato), historians (Herodotos), and tragedians (Euripides) whose writings were used extensively by the Church Fathers for pedagogical paradigms. Knowledge of ancient Greek, therefore, affords a unique opportunity to experience both the influential works of these great scholars that helped shape Western thought and also Christian Orthodox worship and tradition.
Our graduates will be able to:
- • read the works of Homer and our patron saints in the original and recite lines from the Iliad and Odyssey, as did the Three Hierarchs;
- • follow church services in Greek and chant the sacred hymns once chanted in the cathedral of Hagia Sophia, the symbol of the Byzantine Empire;
- • acquire greater proficiency in English language writing skills;
- • enhance their critical thinking skills and communicate their thoughts more clearly and effectively;
- • profit from the cognitive benefits of learning a second language;
Our goal is to implement a partial Greek immersion program in the next few years with English and Modern Greek as the languages of instruction for selected subjects. To reach this goal, we are implementing this program in incremental steps with a gradual increase of Greek language exposure from year to year. For more details about this program, contact email@example.com.